Saturday, December 9, 2006

Wine when too cold to ride...

OK, it really is not too cold to ride in these parts. In fact with the right gear most folks can ride into the teens temperature wise. I can even ride in temps that cold. However, I am starting the blog with some wine tips. Moreover I want to get it said early and often that I am a wine-geek and not a wine-snob. Wine is like art and food and all the things that make us different. The wine you like the most is the best wine. I feel the same way about bikes. I enjoy different rides and grapes on different occasions for different reasons. That said, I can sleep better. I want it said also that I am not anti other beverages of modes of transportation because I am pro these. Wow am I am I qualifier without saying much.

Here is the tip of the post - Riesling! Yep! Riesling. I am giving away real secrets of the pharaohs here. There are two tips here for the savvy reader. So lets start with the grape, Riesling. If you are so curious to know more or the origin of the grape go elsewhere to learn the extra geeky stuff. Right now I am trying to appeal to as many folks as I can. So... basic grape concepts: grapes grown in warmer climates develop higher sugars and lower acids. Rieslings grown in California and Australia will have lower acid and higher sugars than those grown in Germany, Austria, and the Alsace region of France. So the grapes start with different contents based on where they are grown. The winemakers start with different ingredients even though they are using the same grapes. Beer makers, zymugists get this with grain strains and what not, but many wine geeks don't. The next step is what process the grapes are put through. Does the vintner ferment the fruit to dry or leave more sugar because the avid is there and can handle it. Balance is the even mix of acid, fruit, tannins from oak, aging with yeast, and so much more.

If you want a simple Riesling with more full sweetness of fruit, get early warm climate Rieslings from Cali and Australia. They are good with spicy food, Thai and Indian. Also German Spatlese would be a sweeter or riper German Riesling.

If you want a medium complex Riesling, look to Oregon, German Kabinett and maybe New Zealand.

I will digress here to give an insight into German Riesling. They give you a key to sweetness levels. Their wine laws say ripeness is to be labeled. Kabinett is not so ripe.
Experiment with this grape with origin and age and ripeness levels. Let me know your findings. And questions I guess as I either know something to help or will point you in the right direction.

Cheers!

1 comment:

velovino said...

Just wondering? Active?