Monday, January 15, 2007

It's cold but I'm riding.

In true form I am riding to a wine luncheon held each year by a group of wine suppliers and distributors. It's the 10th year of this winter luncheon and we each bring really nice wines from our cellars and have a better than average lunch. The general request this year is to bring 1997 vintage wines as it's the 10th year of the gathering . I am bringing a 1997 Domaine Schlumberger Pinot Gris Vendage Tardive. I figure it will be one of only a few fruitier wines. Following this lunch I have an evening gathering of my cycling team involving a microbrew pizzeria. To facilitate my not gaining too much from the copious consumption and also not being able to do too much damage to my wallet and well sobriety.

There is a dusting of snow and temperature will drop into the low 20's high teens later, but I have outfitted a rig to manage it. The rig: 1990-91 Specialized Stumpjumper. It's all original with old style, top bar, 7 speed, thumb shifters. I have a narrow, 1.5 inch slick on the front and a 2.1 inch knobby on the rear. I have a seatpost attached rack to act as a rear fender to keep my rump dry. I found and am using for the first time cordura covers that slip over the handle bars, brakes and shifters. I hope these will keep the hands toasty. I'll let you know. The feet get sock liners, socks, sandwich bag over the toes, inside the shoes, then booties over the shoes to hopefully keep the toes dry. I will follow-up with a review of the set-up and clothing choices and well....wine choices and brews too.... I've decide this will be the official end to my off-season for riding.

No comments: